The term “corrosion in battery cables” describes the degradation or damage that can happen to a motorcycle battery cable’s metal parts, especially the cable connectors and battery terminals.
The acidic fumes that the battery releases during regular operation, the metal, and the atmosphere all react chemically to produce this corrosion.
There are a few different items and techniques you may use to prevent corrosion on motorcycle battery cables and terminals:
- Anti-Corrosion Grease or Spray: Commercial treatments are available that are specifically made to stop corrosion on cables and battery connections. These materials are usually applied directly to the terminals and cable ends and come in spray or grease form. They establish a shield that prevents corrosion from forming.
- Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline): You can stop corrosion on battery terminals and cable connections by putting on a thin layer of petroleum jelly. To form a barrier, add a little amount of petroleum jelly after thoroughly cleaning the cables and terminals.
- Battery terminal protectors: Some battery terminal protectors are made of felt washers or pads that have been dipped in chemicals to prevent corrosion.
- Dielectric grease: is a silicone-based lubricant that is used on cable ends and battery terminals. In addition to offering electrical insulation and potential conductivity improvements, it also aids in the prevention of corrosion.
- Baking Soda and Water: For a do-it-yourself option, you can combine baking soda and water to make a paste, then clean the cable ends and terminals with a wire brush or toothbrush. Apply the paste, give it a light scrub, and then rinse with water after cleansing. By doing this, acid will be neutralized and any corrosion will be removed.
- Applying a Corrosion Inhibitor Coating: Certain coatings for battery terminals are intended to stop corrosion. Usually, they take the form of a liquid that may be sprayed on or brushed on to cover the terminals and cables in a protective layer. The anti-corrosion coating on the terminal of the True® Harley Davidson Motorcycle Battery Cables enables the battery cables to supply the motorcycle with effective electricity.
It’s crucial to routinely check your battery terminals and cables for signs of corrosion and to reapply the preventive measures as necessary, regardless of the method or product you choose. Remember that corrosion can also be avoided by making sure the battery is securely fastened in place and that it is installed and maintained correctly. Future problems can also be greatly avoided by utilizing high-quality, corrosion-resistant battery terminals and wires like the TrueAm battery cables for motorcycles and golf cart.
How to Clean Battery Terminals